- This event has passed.
Mental Capacity Act & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Awareness (MCA/DoLS)
November 6, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Who should attend
Staff and managers working in adult social care, housing, health and the independent and voluntary sector
Overview of the course
- What is the Mental Capacity Act?
- Five Statutory Principles
- Decisions covered by the Mental Capacity Act
- What are the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards?
- Who do the Safeguards apply to?
- Best Interest Decision making
- Key definitions
- Case study – Bournewood
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand what the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards are and how they can be applied to care homes and hospital settings.
- Know what constitutes deprivation, restriction and restraint.
- Understand essential responsibilities under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, including the five statutory principles.
- Have an awareness of what is involved in assessing capacity and best interests.
- Understand the authorisation process for the necessary deprivation of liberty, including the application process, assessments and reviewing the authorisation
Ernest Johnson & Alison Strang